Although the Sibyl has the gift of precognition, her visions do not always make sense. This is partly "divine interference" (she is not yet experienced enough to read gods or those directly touched by them with complete clarity), and partly self-delusion. She will not always see what she does not wish to see . . .
The First Prophecy
The first prophecy was also the Sibyl's first appearance. In the strip for 9/27/02 the following exchange takes place between the Sibyl and her assistant:
"What do you see?"
"A spring . . . a shrine."
"Where is it?"
"I'm not sure, but I don't think it's any place real."
"So why are you seeing it?"
"No idea. But . . . something's going to happen here. Something bad."
"I don't know. A knife . . . a scream . . . an arrow. I don't know. It's too far away."
The Second Prophecy
The second prophecy is actually eleven prophecies, plus a few pieces of seemingly meaningless rhetoric. The vision occured on 3/6/02, but the interpretations were presented on 4/13/02.
- OUT OF HIS SIGHT OUT OF YOUR MIND
- DO NOT FOLLOW THE HORSE TO WATER
- SCARS HEAL BUT CANNOT HIDE
- WHITE TO BLACK TO WHITE WATCH THE WINGS OF THE BUTTERFLY
- TITANS' BLOOD STAYS THE SNAKE
- AN ECHO OF THE EAGLE UNLEASHES THE CUR
- WHEN ROOMS FALL FROM THEIR DOORS LOOK TO THE CROSSROADS
- THE WOLF WILL SEE THE LOSS OF THEE
- WATCH FOR THE SERPENT BENEATH THE FLOWER
- CRUSH A VIOLET SPITE THE SUN
- WHEN THE BOUGH BREAKS THE WAY WILL OPEN
- YOU DO NOT KNOW WHO YOU THINK YOU KNOW - YOU DO NOT SEE WHAT YOU THINK YOU SEE - WHAT WILL BE IS NOT WHAT YOU BELIEVE IT WILL BE - WHO WILL YOU BE YOU WHEN YOU'RE GONE?